I think I can hear the walls whispering as this old house starts echoing with the emptiness
With each box that crosses the threshold I hear the whispering of another memory
A young couple, one with rounded tummy,
crossing into a big empty house
The sounds of a baby filling the night air
Sprawling crawls and first steps on slippery floors
The laughter and happiness of first Christmas morns
Hunting for Easter treasures
First days of school
Learning to share and play nicely
Reading time and bible study time
"Can I go play to ... 's house, Mom" bouncing off the walls
Movie nights, game nights, and nothing special nights
Flashlights lighting summer nights
and mittens covering hands as snowman are built
Bath time, bed time, and waking up time
Times to cry and times to rejoice
Will this old house miss us?
Will it miss the sounds of elephant feet on the stairs?
Will it miss the silly loudness?
Will it miss the quiet times and nighttime slumbers?
Will it miss the Christmas tree in that specific corner?
Many families have lived between these walls
If this old house had a soul would it ask us to stay or be ready for someone new?
We will cherish the moments and memories that we shared in this old house
and like the changing of the leaves on the big maple tree
we will move on and build new memories wherever home may take us.
I remember some precious times in that house too. What I remember most of all is the people who owned it letting it become home for a very lost college freshman who was trying to find a place to belong. I imagine I wasn't the only one ever, but those memories are still dear to me. Love you guys. The house may or may not miss you, but I do!
ReplyDelete